The Rhythm Chaps provide a high quality P.A. system. All amplification and electronic instruments undergo Portable Appliance Testing annually, and the band have Public Liability Insurance through membership of the Musician’s Union.
The Rhythm Chaps are:
- a well-established and highly versatile band featuring high standards of musicianship
- a trio comprising a fiddler, a banjo/mandolin player and a keyboard player (dances are explained and called by our amazing multitasking lead instrumentalists)
- able to work with any dance audiences, from absolute beginners to the more experienced
- available to play for weddings, birthdays, anniversary celebrations, corporate events, informal Burns suppers – any kind of party where people want to get together and have fun
- able to choose from our repertoire of traditional tunes from all over the British Isles and North America, to perfectly compliment the dances we do
- South Yorkshire based, but also frequently play for events in West Yorkshire, North Derbyshire and North Nottinghamshire
- able to entertain with an eclectic mix of songs and tunes during breaks between dances
What is a Ceilidh?
Ceilidh is a Scottish Gaelic word (spelled Ceili in Ireland) that has come to describe any social event mainly consisting of traditional dances. Barn Dances (not necessarily held in barns) have a similar format.
What do the Rhythym Chaps Do?
The Rhythm Chaps play Irish, Scottish, English and American reels, polkas, jigs, hornpipes, strathspeys and other traditional music forms.
Our aim throughout an evening is to entertain and to help the audience have fun.
Our caller will explain and help the dancers ‘walk through’ each dance before the music is added, and remind them of what comes next during the dance when necessary.
How Long Do We Play?
Timings may vary, but events usually last for up to four hours, this includes a longish break when food is usually served.
How difficult are the dances?
The Rhythm Chaps can fill an evening with dances for the absolute beginner or for dancers with a little more experience. Many dances have similar elements, so dance skills can be reinforced and developed during the course of the evening.
Some dances can be included which are also suitable for children, and the pace of the dancing can be altered to suit the level of energy and ability of the dancers. Between dances, listening tunes may be played, or the occasional song.
The Rhythm Chaps have a high quality Public Address system and all electronic equipment is PAT tested annually. The band is covered by Public Liability Insurance. Both of these are required by many venues, and can be provided in advance of an event.
Many thanks for a really great evening at the East Midlands Hilton Hotel. It really was a lot of fun and the delegates at our conference really enjoyed it. I hope you will be able to play for us again soon. Please pass on my thanks and best wishes to the rest of the band.
Last Friday at Bagden Hall you provided the Ceilidh for our wedding, we felt we must write to tell you that we and our guests thought you were terrific! I’m sure our enthusiasm must have come across; you seemed every bit as happy as the dancers.
So a big pat on the back from us.
Yours sincerely Tim and Judith